Saturday, January 26, 2008

62.5% Complete - January 8, 2008

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:26 PM
Subject: 62.5% Complete

Praise: Well, another one complete! Today, as I mentioned before, we started a new drug. Praise: For this one they didn't even give her any nausea medication, that should not be an issue anymore. They did tell her that even the stubble she has on her head probably will come out along with....the eyebrows and eyelashes! The Dr also said that the medicine could cause flu like symptoms including "Wicked" bone and muscle pain. We have some pain medication ready for that if it comes, she said the pain would last for about 48 hours.
We did have a bit of a surprise today, this treatment takes much longer than the past two drugs. It take about 3.5 hours to get this one and you have to get 3 premedications first to treat for a possible allergic reaction to the preservative in the Taxol. It takes about 20 minutes to get each of the premeds, I think they were Benedryl a steriod and some other antihistimine. By the time you have your blood drawn and they get your blood counts and then see the Dr you have already spent ~1.5 hours so I think we were there from 9-3:30 or so today. Kim seemed much more tired during this treatment, probably the Benadryl, so she slept through some of it, I watched daytime television. I need to remember when I am at work that I am not missing anything good on TV!
Praise: Kims blood counts were also "off the charts" so she is able to slowly cut back on her shots that she takes between treatments. If you didn't know Kim is deathly afraid of needles. At the beginning she was feeling sick just about getting stuck, now she is giving herself her own shots!!!!
Praise!!!!!: The Dr was also unable to feel the lump(s) anylonger. I didn't know what I was looking for before and I could feel the large one and now she can't find it at all!!
As you can see, there are lots of things that we are thankful for this visit! If you can keep a couple of things in mind when you pray for Kim please pray for the "Wicked" aches not to be too bad/that the medicine will manage the pain and for peace for Kim as she loses the last bit of hair she has. One funny thing to mention is that Kim is getting comments on what a perfect skull she has. I have been telling her since she lost her hair that I think it is a "Text Book" head! One of the nurses that was working in the Lipson Center (chemo room) stopped by to tell her how perfect her head was. Maybe she can get a new career as a Cranium Model!!
I am sending a link to a blog from another woman with almost the exact situation that Kim is facing. Almost same age, 2 kids, same cancer, same treatment etc. I have been in touch with her, she is here in Rochester and used to work with my sister Paula at Kodak. If anyone is interested she kept a pretty good record so it may help fill in some of the details. Her Drs are from Strong so it is comforting to see that Kims treatment would likely have been agreed upon by those Drs as well. http://www.likepeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/
Thank you for your prayers today and please continue to praise as much as you ask! As you can see, they are working and your support is making this very bearable for us!
Trusting in Him,
John

No comments: