Saturday, March 29, 2008

Recovery: Day 12

I guess I am a bit overdue for a recovery update. It has been a tough couple of weeks, but things seem to have turned the corner yesterday. This past Tuesday Kim had an appt with one of the surgeons. We have been tracking the fluid in her drains and two of them were below the threshold to have them removed. It made sense since they were on the side opposite of the cancer and the removed lympnodes. Kim went to the appt Tuesday expecting to get them removed only to be told that they were not filling because the blood was pooling inside her! That was a real let down since, believe it or not the drains seem at times be the most painful. It was also frustrating because we have had a nurse here twice to check her out and neither one of them said anything. Actually when Kim talked to them later one of them said, "I thought something was going on". With pain comes pain medicine and with that comes sleep. Kims concept of time over the last weeks is way off, and she tried to let Maverick out the other day when he wasn't even here. The meds make her "loopy", but we are thankful for them (PRAISE!)

We are at the tail end of the two weeks that Kim had planned out before she went for the surgery, so it is good that is will not be as "loopy". Maverick has been at Kim's moms house for a week and then at Camp Lori for the next week. I was excited to see him at the door greeting me again yesterday, but it was very nice not having to worry about him the last two weeks. Kim also had a friend (Julie Neal) here for a few days, up from Virginia to take care of her while I was at work and then another friend (Lori Reed) here several days this week to take care of her. The kids have also been take care of most of the week, either at Grandmas or with Aunt Paula. I can't help but remember that some people have to worry about how they will get home from surgery, when we have such a great support team! (PRAISE!!!)

Yesterday Kim had another appt and the did take out two of the drains, one from each side (PRAISE!). That really gave us both a lift emotionally. It feels like we are atleast moving in the right direction. We knew this would be a hard few weeks, but when you are in the middle it is hard to see the end. I also think it was hard since we had those few weeks in between Chemo and surgery where Kim was feeling so good (we were greatful for the break, and it came at a good time for Kims show). Kim says that removing those two drains has really reduced the pain as well which means less pain medicine.(PRAISE!) Today has been a very good day so far. I think the sunshine also helps (PRAISE!). She was also able to take her first shower in two weeks last night (PRAISE!).

Kim has two appts next week, one Monday with the Surgical Oncologist. We haven't heard anything about the pathology results from the removed tissue, so we hope to get them Monday. I really don't know what to expect. I suppose that the results may have some impact on the next steps, radiation, more chemo, or healing and starting the 5 year treament with the hormone suppressant. I don't think that Monday will give those answers, the Medical Oncologist is the one who will make those decisions, but we should get some informtion Monday. Hopefully Kim will get the other two drains out Tuesday.

That is about it, we are really appreciate all of the support from everyone. We have turned the dining room into a greenhouse for all of your flowers and I will have to restart my diet again after all of the good food we have had these past two weeks! I am also thankful for dishwashers and washing machines!!!! Thank you for all the other things that you have done as well, cards, money, meals, general encouragement and most of all prayers!

Specific prayer requests: That the drains are ready to be removed Tuesday and that they are. Continued healing. Pathology results! Decisions Drs will make based on those pathology results and just the general encougement that we have felt, especially in the past two days!(PRAISE!!) We are also getting excited about the celebration trip to DISNEY!

I know this update is kinda all over the place, but that is how this past two weeks have been! I will keep you posted with results from Monday and Tuesday.

As always, Trusting in Him,
John

No comments: