Well, our actuall appt with the Medical Oncologist was not until April 23 which was waaaayyy to long for us to be left hanging with next steps. Kim called yesterday and got an appt for today, so here is the latest.
I think the Oncologist was a little disapointed with the impact of the chemo, but not completely surprised. She did say that as they say in the medical world, Kim was NEOD, No Evidence Of Disease (PRAISE!). When I pushed her for a prognosis, she gave us the odds of 30-40% that the cancer would return elsewhere within 10 years, ie it got out of the breast and lympnodes before it was removed and chemo started. The one disturbing thing she also said was that once it gets out, you never really get rid of it! Lets just PRAY that it didn't get out and that Kim will be in the 60-70%!!!!!!
The Dr also was not going to recommend Chemo. After talking with us for a bit about it, we all decided that Kim would finish the two treatments that they stopped before the surgery. The Dr was not opptimistic that it would make a huge difference (~1% improvement in odds), but we were willing to take it. The time to beat this thing is now, not if it comes back. We were able to schedule the last two chemos around our Disney trip. The first chemo will be April 21st which will give Kim time to get some energy back before the trip and then the next will be a few days after we get back, May 12th. Of course with this chemo will come the loss of the hair that Kim has regrown, kind of a bummer, but we know it will come back! This was also the chemo with the bone pain but without the nausea. About 3 weeks after the chemo is done she will begin her 5 year regiment of Tamoxifen and 5 weeks of 5 days per week radiation.
Please pray that Kim will be in the 60-70% and that this cancer will not comeback elsewhere. Praise God for the blessings that we have received through this experience. This experience has changed our lives and I think some lives of people around us. We have truly been blessed! I am not gonna lie and say I am happy about it but I hope we are better people for this, and I would be very greatful if has a happy ending!!! This has really put things into perspective. One of the kids standing in front of the TV doesn't really upset me that much anymore ;-) I have heard "Don't sweat the small stuff" before, but I hope now I am living it! Please continue to LOVE Kim the way you have already, we have been blessed by all of you!! We thank God for you constantly, he has used you to give us the strength that we have!
I will likely send out further updates, but I think this really is the news that we all have been waiting for. I don't expect any more real news. If I don't send an update and you don't want to call, feel free to email me and I will give you you the latest.
Trusting in Him more than ever!!!!
John
No comments:
Post a Comment